Depending on a person’s age and condition of their teeth, porcelain veneers may be an excellent way to transform a smile. Stain-resistant porcelain veneers are custom-made thin shells of porcelain that cover the front surface of the teeth. These veneers are contoured for the exact shape and colored for the precise shade needed to restore your smile. A dental laboratory will fabricate the veneers from a mold of your teeth. This natural life-like appearance offered by the ceramic substance allows a cosmetic dentist to mimic the actual luster of your own teeth.
You can learn more about porcelain veneers from a San Diego cosmetic dentist, like Dr. Rod Strober with Strober Dental. With extensive experience in restorative dentistry and crafting beautiful smiles, Dr. Strober can provide you with all the available options for your straightening and restoring your teeth.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers require approximately a 0.5mm tooth reduction so they are not reversible once bonded to your teeth. Yet, porcelain veneers offer many advantages for those with a less than perfect smile. Those advantages include:
- Non-porous, so veneers should never stain
- Resilient and durable
- Natural-looking to replicate a beautiful smile
- Teeth become stronger once the veneer is bonded to the tooth surface
- No higher incidence of decay, provided teeth receive regular brushing and flossing
Considerations of Porcelain Veneers
A cosmetic dentist will evaluate a patient prior to receiving veneer treatment. In that evaluation, Dr. Strober will verify certain aspects of the teeth to ensure the following:
- Teeth are positioned correctly
- Sufficient tooth structure exists for veneer placement
- Symmetrical gum contours are present that allow for proper framing of the teeth
If you have discolored or misshapen teeth and would like to consider porcelain veneers, San Diego cosmetic dentist Dr. Rod Strober can help. Please contact Strober Dental to arrange your first visit that sets you on a path to a more pleasing smile.